Yeast Infection in Mouth
Yeast Infection in Mouth
The frightening thing is that you can get a yeast infection anywhere on your body including your mouth. A mouth or oral yeast infection can be a really serious problem because it can spread down your throat, to your lungs and your internal organs.
This can resort in breathing problems, lung infections, allergies, bronchitis, asthma, upset stomach, diarrhea, bloating and many other problems. Many people get chronically sick because of this. To make matters worse, a lot of the people that suffer from mouth yeast infections or thrush don’t realize it. They think that they have a cold or allergies.
Some long term effects of such an infection can include fatigue, chronic fatigue syndrome, insomnia, and even mental problems. There is actually evidence that some mental problems including lack of concentration, mood swings and memory loss could be caused by yeast infections. Since the mouth is really close to the brain, this is something that you should really be nervous about.
Everybody that is concerned about his or her health should be worried about oral yeast infections and should know how to treat and prevent them. Fortunately, this problem can be dealt with if you are willing to confront it and deal with it like a grownup. The good news is that these infections are easy to treat and prevent with good diet and home remedies.
So What Causes a Mouth Yeast Infection Anyway?
The good news is that yeast is not what causes such an infection. Instead, it is a fungus called Candida which spreads like a germ. Candida infections often appear on your skin and they can easily spread into your mouth and cause a lot of problems there.
The fungus can spread through the air as spores and it can also spread like a germ. That is, you can get it from contaminated food, filthy conditions and unwashed hands. It can also be spread through person-to-person contact such as kissing and through dirty water fountains.
That means you should be vigilant about such an infection. Taking some normal precautions can prevent its spread. These include:
- Washing your hands several times a day.
- Always washing your hands before you eat or prepare food.
- Trying to avoid drinking from public water fountains they’re great disease spreaders.
- Being careful where you eat. Try to avoid any place that looks dirty or unsanitary.
- Keeping your home especially the bathroom and the food preparation areas really clean. Try scrubbing down everything with bleach at least once a month.
- Making sure you clean all your dishes and utensils in the dishwasher. The water in it is hot enough to kill the fungus.
Many people could prevent getting a mouth yeast infection with such simple precautions. Remember that keeping clean is important. So is being vigilant against disease.
How Diet Can Affect Yeast Infections
What you eat can have a huge impact on yeast infections including those in the mouth. Many people get much sicker from this kind of problem than they should because they are eating a really lousy diet that doesn’t give them the energy they need. This includes most Canadians and Americans.
Part of the reason why yeast infections are now so rampant is that large numbers of people have weakened or compromised immune systems and don’t even realize it. Their immune systems are not functioning properly because of nutrition, vitamin and mineral deficiencies. In particular, many people are not getting enough vitamin B-12 which is critical for the functioning of the system. Others are not getting enough protein from the food that they eat.
Changing your diet to foods rich in vitamins and minerals is important. Adopting a high energy diet and switching to high energy foods such as soy milk, almond milk, fermented cod liver oil, high-vitamin butter, eggs, kale, reishi mushrooms and shiitake mushrooms is vital. Eliminating all processed foods from your diet is also a good idea because processed foods often don’t have the energy you need. The vitamins and minerals are actually taken out of them so they don’t do you much good.
To make matters worse, many processed foods contain chemicals such as MSG (monosodium glutamate) and arsenic that can actually damage your immune system. A regular diet of such foods can actually destroy your immune system and make you susceptible to yeast infections.
One of the major reasons that you should change your diet is that the infection can reoccur if you keep eating the same lousy diet. Part of the reason why some people are sick all the time is that their diet doesn’t provide their immune system with the energy that it needs.
These people are weak and tired so they will never overcome a serious problem like a yeast infection. Instead, they will get worse and worse and often end up so sick that they cannot function in everyday life anymore.
Natural Home Remedies for Mouth Yeast Infections
Now here’s some really good news. It’s not just diet that can help you. Yeast infections actually respond very well to natural home remedies. In fact, such remedies can quickly get rid of such an infection and have you feeling good again fairly quickly.
So what are some really good home remedies for yeast infections? Here’s a short list.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. This stuff really works and can kill the infection fairly quickly. DrinkingACVmixed with water is actually one of the best cures. Simply mix a large glass of water with about an ounce of the vinegar. Use natural organic vinegar for best results and drink several glasses a day. If you don’t like the taste, mix the drink with honey or maple syrup. You can also drink apple cider lemonade if you want. It tastes great.
ACV Lemonade Drink
1 cup of apple cider vinegar
Half a gallon of filtered water
¼ cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice
Dash of cayenne pepper
½ tablespoon of maple syrup
Simply mix ingredients and serve. Put in the refrigerator or serve with ice.
- Garlic, particularly raw garlic, is one of the most powerful natural fungus fighters around. You should definitely make it a large part of your diet. Try adding fresh cloves of diet to salads. Make garlic soup as well. Eating a clove of raw garlic once a day can also help.
- Greek yogurt. This has natural cultures that can kill fungus. It also tastes good. It can also help prevent the yeast infection from spreading deeper into your body. Try to eat it two or three times a day.
- Reishi and shiitake mushrooms. These are great natural infection fighters that are loaded with protein and vitamins. Making a soup of these with garlic is a great treatment for fungal infections. It’s really easy to eat. The triple threat mushroom soup below is great for those who are having trouble swallowing:
Triple Threat Mushroom Soup
- 1 sliced red reishi mushroom
- 3 sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 3 sliced oyster mushrooms
- ½ package mung bean shoots (look for these at natural supermarkets)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 6 cups of filtered water
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon arrowroot (kudzu)
- Miso powder (to taste)
- Hot chili flakes (to taste)
- Soy sauce (optional)
- Scallions for garnish (optional)
Bring the water to a boil. Add the mushrooms, miso, garlic, chili flakes and sesame oil. Simmer for 40 minutes. Soak the arrowroot in cold water for 10 minutes. Add the arrowroot and mung beans to the soup. Simmer for another 20 minutes and serve. You can garnish with scallions if you want.
Note: if you want a lighter soup, just cook the garlic, miso, mushrooms, chili flakes and sesame oil. Feel free to vary the ingredients and add or take some away. This kind of soup makes a great addition to a detoxification diet and a really good dinner recipe. This is also a great cleansing recipe.
- Mushroom tea including chaga or reishi mushroom tea is also a really good treatment for a throat infection. Drinking it is a good alternative to caffeinated beverages such as coffee. Try drinking reishi tea several times a day. It’s a great infection fighter and it has a lot of energy.
Symptoms of Oral Yeast Infections
The main symptom of an oral yeast infection is a sore throat. You might or might not see white growths on the tongue and other areas. On the other hand, your throat will get really sore and swell up. You will probably have some trouble swallowing as well.
Another common symptom is a fever which is why people often mistake this disease with colds and the flu. It has some of the exact same symptoms. If it gets deeper into your throat, you may also experience coughing and chest pain as well as trouble breathing.
Many people will get other infections such as bronchitis as well. The long term effects can be lung damage and allergies. Persons that fail to treat a yeast infection could develop asthma or even pneumonia.
Cleansing for Thrush
Something you should definitely do if you think that you have a yeast infection is to cleanse. A cleanse means that you try to flush your body out and clean it. You do this by eating certain foods and drinking certain beverages. Many nutrition and health experts recommend that you should cleanse about once every six months.
If you have a yeast infection, you should definitely cleanse because it is often the only way to get the fungus out of your system. Something to remember is that if you have thrush in your mouth, you could have it in your internal organs or lungs as well.
A good basic cleanse is the apple cider vinegar cleanse. Drink several glasses ofACVand water orACVlemonade every day. That can flush the fungal infection right out of your infection. Combine it with the eating of raw garlic, reishi or chaga mushroom tea and cleansing soups. Keep up the cleanse for several days to a week to make sure that everything gets flushed completely out of your system.
The reason you want to cleanse is to avoid a systematic yeast infection. A systematic yeast infection can lead to serious problems including fatigue, insomnia, chronic fatigue syndrome, mental problems and a weakened immune system. There are some really good cleanses out there including Yuri Elkaim’s Total Wellness Cleanse.
The cleanse should be followed by a change to a high energy raw food diet. Such a diet should give your body the energy it needs to overcome the yeast infection and keep it away.
Nobody needs to live with a mouth yeast infection. It is easily treatable and even easier to prevent. A few simple steps can help you overcome the scourge of thrush once and for all.